Monday, November 11, 2013

The Laramie Project Reflection

     In Act III of The Laramie Project, something that truly amazed me was the statement Dennis Shepard made to the court sparing Aaron McKinney's life. It had to take an amazingly generous and forgiving family to let Aaron McKinney live after what he did to their son Matthew Shepard. In that situation, I don't know what I would have done but I would hope that I could be loving enough to do what they did. It brought tears to my eyes and I think the words will stay with Aaron McKinney until the day that he dies. Dennis Shepard says, "Mr. McKinney, I am going to grant you life, as hard as it is for me to do so, because of Matthew. Every time you celebrate Christmas, a birthday, the fourth of July remember that Matt isn't. Every time you wake up in your prison cell, remember that you had the opportunity and the ability to stop your actions that night. You robbed me of something very precious, and I will never forgive you for that. Mr. McKinney, I give you life in the memory of one who no longer lives. May you have a long life, and may you thank Matthew everyday for it." (Kaufman p. 96) I cannot explain the effect that statement had on me and I find it completely incredible the way the Shepard family handled the situation. 


No comments:

Post a Comment